RETURN TO HOME PAGE
THE PANGOLIN POWER
THE PANGOLIN POWER
Photography Competition 2017
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
- The Pangolin Power Photography Competition (‘the Competition’) is organised by the Singapore Eco Film Festival and Black and Green. (‘the Organisers’).
- Selected entries to the Competition may be displayed in an exhibition at the ArtScience Museum (‘the Exhibition’) featured online, in publicity materials relating to the Competition, Exhibition or as merchandising according to the terms hereunder.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY TO THE COMPETITION
- Entries and all votes associated must be received by 11.59 PM (GMT + 8) on Monday 28 August 2017 (‘the Closing Date’).
- The Competition is open to all except individuals (and their partners and family) involved in its organisation or judging as well as any official partners, supporters, or sponsors of the Competition.
- By entering the Competition, the entrant agrees to maintain the highest standards in all matters relating to the Competition and not to do or say anything that does or might damage the reputation of the Organisers, the Competition, the other entrants, or the official partners, supporters, or sponsors of the Competition, or the Exhibition. The entrant acknowledges that entry into the Competition does not grant any rights in any intellectual property rights of the Competition and/or the Owners, and agrees not to use any names, logos or other intellectual property rights of any of them or to make any public statement regarding any of them without the prior written consent of the Owners.
- It is the responsibility of each entrant into the Competition to ensure that they have read and will abide by these Rules. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Rules, that their entry complies with the Rules, and that they will be liable to the Owners and their licensees in respect of any damages or losses incurred as a breach of the Rules by the entrant.
- Entrants are not permitted to submit images that:
- portray captive or restrained animals, animal models, and/or any other animal being exploited for profit unless for the purposes of reporting on a specific issue regarding the treatment of animals by a third party;
- have been captured using live bait;
- Any entry found not to comply with the Rules at any stage of the Competition may be disqualified and any prizes will be forfeited. The decision of the Owners on all matters relating to the Competition is final and binding. No negotiation will be considered. The Owners reserve the right to amend the Rules and to waive breach of the Rules at their sole discretion, acting reasonably.
- Entry must be submitted at https://pangolin-power-award.bng.sg/competition/
- Each entrant is allowed a maximum of 3 entries into the Competition.
- Any breach of the Competition’s Ethics below will constitute a breach of the Rules.
- Entrants are required to report on the natural world in a way that is both creative and honest.
- Entrants must not do anything to injure or distress any animals or destroy their habitat in an attempt to secure an image.
- Entrants are responsible for ensuring full compliance with any applicable national or international legislation and for securing any relevant permits that may be required (which, in the case of human portraits and recordings, will include the subject’s permission) and which must be made available on request by the Owners.
- The following submissions are ineligible:
- Photos that violate or infringe upon another person's rights, including but not limited to copyright and photographs of persons without the necessary consent required by law.
- Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content.
- Images that involve the willful harassment of wildlife, or damage to the environment by the photographer.
- Images that involve putting any individual or animal in danger
- If the Owners suspect that an entry has been achieved through cruel or unethical practices, including the use of live bait, the entry will be disqualified and the Owners reserve the right to report the entrant to the applicable authorities.
- Submissions must be in digital format but the original entry does not need to have been taken on a digital camera. High quality scans of transparencies or negatives are also acceptable.
- For all categories, digital files must be submitted as JPEGs, saved at a high quality setting of at least 8 in Photoshop, Adobe RGB (1998), and at a minimum of 1920 pixels along the longest dimension. No borders, watermarks or signatures should be included.
- Entrants whose work has been shortlisted may be required to provide the following:
- RAW files (eg .CR2, .NEF, .ORF, .PEF etc), original untouched JPEGs, and original transparencies or negatives, may be required for authentication. DNG files are only permitted if this is the native RAW format of the camera;
- High resolution files (preferably TIFF) required for printing should match the colour and cropping of the JPEG submitted at entry. Please do not upscale. Files must not exceed 500MB.
- Any entry that cannot be authenticated or is not of an acceptable quality will be disqualified.
- Digital adjustments including tone and contrast, burning, dodging, cropping, sharpening, noise reduction, minor cleaning work, HDR, stitched panoramas, focus stacking and multiple exposure taken at the same location at the same time are permitted providing that they comply with the Competition’s principles of authenticity so that they do not deceive the viewer or misrepresent the reality of nature.
- Caption information must be complete, true and accurate, and restricted to between 50 and 100 words.
JUDGING, AWARDS, PRIZES
- An independent panel of experts (‘the Jury’) will be appointed by the Organisers to select and award the Jury Prize.
- The entry with the most votes will receive the Pangolin Power Photography People’s Choice Award, with the next two (2) most popular entries regarded as Special Award Finalists.
- The list of prizes will be made available on the website before the competition end. They are non-transferable. The Organisers reserve the right to substitute the whole or part of any listed prize with an alternative of equal monetary value (but the entrant shall not have any right to demand this).
- All entrants agree that, if their entry is selected by the Jury, they will participate in related publicity and agree to the use of their name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity of the Competition and/or the Exhibition without additional compensation.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
- Each entry must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party.
- The entrant must be the sole owner of the copyright in the entry(s) submitted.
- In the event that an entrant is not the sole copyright owner of the entry(s), the entrant agrees to notify the Organisers at the date of submission, providing the names of all copyright owners.
- Ownership of the copyright in any entry submitted to the Competition will remain with the copyright owner(s). The photographer will be credited (eg © photographer’s name). The photographer agrees that the Organisers will not be liable to the photographer in the event of inadvertent omission of the credit.
- By entering the Competition, the entrant grants to the Organisers a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, exhibit and communicate to the public, by any means and in all media throughout the world any entry. This licence is granted only for use in relation to the Competition and Exhibition which shall include (with the right to sub-license where necessary) - but will not be limited to - any of the following uses:
- the process of judging the Competition (including the public vote);
- display during the Awards Ceremony and Exhibition;
- publication in other magazines or print media which the Owners (or their official partners, supporters, or sponsors) may produce;
- publication on relevant parts of the Owners’ website, including within interactive elements available for viewing or download;
- in publicity materials (including social media).
- Proof of electronic submission is not proof of receipt by the Organisers.
- The Organisers cannot be held responsible for emails that do not arrive due to an entrant’s email security settings or restrictions placed by their Internet Service Provider.
- The Organisers regret that they cannot accept liability for any loss of or damage to any entry submitted into the Competition howsoever caused or for any other loss or damage as a result.
- The Organisers regret that they cannot accept liability for the misuse of images and/or failure of any third party to comply with the Competition’s credit guidelines.
- Non-awarded digital entries submitted into the Competition will not be stored or returned by the Organisers after the names of awarded photographers are announced.
- Except where expressly stated elsewhere in the Rules, the Organisers regret that, to the fullest extent permitted by law, they cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered by any entrant in relation to the Competition or the use of any prize.
- The personal data of entrants will be managed by the Organisers in accordance with the principles of The Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (PDPA).
- The Organisers will collect personal data about entrants (and the entrant’s parent/guardian where applicable) at the time of registration, and as otherwise provided in order to administer the Competition and/or all associated activities.
- Entrants may contact the Organisers at any time to update their details and/or preferences regarding permitted use of their personal data.
If you have any questions regarding these terms or any other aspect of the Competition, please submit a message using the contact form and we will get back to asap. Thank you and good luck with your submission.